Friday, August 31, 2012

One week past RPLND for Austin!  I am going to share some of my posts from Facebook the days following the surgery:

August 24th afternoon:
PRAISE GOD!!!! Austin is In recovery. All went well. All biopsies that were done today were negative. Sending more out for pathology. Didn't lose much blood at all. Still has both kidneys. :). Did one liver bx and was negative. May not need to do resection later. :))



August 25th:
Praise the Lord!
Oh give thanks to the Lord, for he is good,
for his steadfast love endures forever!
Who can utter the mighty deeds of the Lord,
or declare all his praise? (Psalm 106:1, 2 ESV)

I am so overwhelmed and humbled by the love and prayers and support that friends and family and people we do not even know have given Austin and our family. We are so thankful to God for answering our prayers concerning Austin's surgery. All of my 'nurse-momma' concerns that we prayed for were answered by our loving God. The neatest thing was hearing both surgeons say how tough the surgery was because of the amount of tumors that were there but how much better it was than they thought it would be. We shared with them how many people that were praying for Austin, the surgery, and them! One of them said he could tell! Praise God!! Austin did not have a good night. He is in a lot of pain and the surgeon is being very cautious with narcotics because of the effect they can have on the bowels. ( look at the YouTube video of RPLND and you will see why!!). He also can have nothing to eat or drink for 2-3 days. Austin will be getting up in a chair for most of the day and I will be honest, this is going to be hard for me to see because he will hurt. But it will get him closer to being able to have something to drink. Thank you all again for all you have done.
I thank my God in all my remembrance of you, (Philippians 1:3 ESV)
 
 
August 29th:
Psalm 86:12
I give thanks to you, O Lord my God, with my whole heart, and I will glorify your name forever.

Praise God with us as we rejoice in the GREAT news that Dr. Wells just gave us!!! All of the tumors and lymph nodes that were removed Friday are negative for live cancer!!!! They were all "necrotic" or dying tissue!! The final report will be back by next Wed when we see Dr. Wells but it ...
looks pretty sure. We are prasing God that the chemo treatments did what they were supposed to do~ and that was to kill that cancer!! And that the surgery went so good. Dr. Moses, who did the surgery, said he was a little concerned because of the extent it had spread to the spine. He doesn't know how hard we all were praying and how our God is the God of miracles :) The plan is to repeat the CT scans in 10-12 weeks. If all of the tumors are smaller, then they will continue to scan Austin and repeat lab work every 3 mos for a couple of years. If there is anything that has not gotten smaller, or have gotten bigger, then we will have to consider surgery again! But we are praying that the good news will continue. And that God will continue to be glorified no matter what and that we can minister to others who may walk this path. I pray that the remainder of this tough recovery will be easier for Austin knowing that he is not for sure looking at 2 more surgeries!!!
 
Austin had days that he was so tired and needed to walk and do things that were just so hard.  He was emotional but through it all never gave up or got discouraged.  He came home yesterday and had done well since then.  He is on a low fat diet and that has been a challenge but so far we are doing ok with it.  :) 
 
I praise God for all He did through the surgery and the recovery.  I can't imagine going through those 8 hr of waiting NOT knowing that God was in CONTROL>  The He was there along side the surgeons.  Guiding their hands so that no bleeders were cut.  Removing the tumors around the spine so that no nerves were severed.  Peeling the tumors off of the kidney so that his kidney was not damaged.  When I found myself starting to think of the "what ifs" I would go off by myself and pray and give all of it over AGAIN to the Blessed Controller of Austin's life.  And the peace that passes all understanding would return to my heart and my mind. 
 
 

No comments: